Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas with Strangers


What an exciting week!! I was so glad that I had the opportunity to call home (well skype!) It was so exciting to get to see and talk to everyone! Our week did not go exactly as we planned it (when does it ever?) It was harder to see some people and easier to see others, but with the hand of the Lord in everything, we had a miraculous week and even got 5 new investigators!!

Before I tell you all about them, I have to tell you about our Christmas Dinner......
So before I got to Carmel, the sisters were filling up their tires one evening at the gas station. They couldn't get it to work, but a nice man came up and helped them. He introduced himself (his name is Jeff F.). His wife is a neurologist and he is a real-estate person and they own a couple other small businesses in the area. Oh-- and he has 9 daughters. Anyway, by the time he finished filling up the tires for the sisters he found out that they were Mormons, said he loved Mormons and invited them over for Christmas Dinner.  So, Sister Pitcher and I in December tried a couple of times to get a hold of him, but never seemed to be able to. Then on the 23rd, we ran into a member from another ward at Walmart who said he heard we were going to Jeff’s home for Christmas Dinner! To make a long story short, we were finally able to get a hold of the their family and we attended their large open house- Christmas dinner! We were able to talk to so many people there, it was amazing!!! And all of them talked about how much they loved Mormons :) I think the best part was when we walked in Jeff said to us "Hey girls!! I am so glad that you could make it! You know what, I was thinking, I should be a Mormon!" President Cleveland is going to invite him to take the discussion in his home. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

So now a little bit more about some of our new investigators... Funny they are all "older" people. 
Lester and Sue- A cute older couple who we met when we helped decorate a cemetery for Christmas. They let us right in and talked and talked and talked to us.... mostly about their dogs and neighbors. When we asked them if they were interested in learning more about the restored gospel and the plan of salvation, they said of course!
Brenda- An older lady who lives by herself. She says she will never change, but owns a quad and wants us to teach her more about the Book of Mormon and how to get answers to prayer.
Ronnita- An older lady who is taking care of her less active mother who has dementia. Pretty sure she told us her whole life story. She says she would like to learn more about the church and possibly be baptized, but she is currently Islamic!

I am staying in Carmel, but sister Pitcher is not, so Wednesday I will get a new companion!! Oh and I had a cold this week too :) hahah We are moving down the street, but they haven’t told us the address yet, so if anyone wants to send mail this week, send it to the mission home and next week I will share with you my new address :)

So I guess summary of this week: It was amazing to see the hand of the Lord in our lives. He is ALWAYS with us!! Sometimes I forget that His plan is better then my plan. The more I recognize Him and the more I learn to rely on Him the more He is a part of my life! He Live and LOVES us!!!
I love you all and here are a few pictures :) <3 Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment