Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tender Mercies


This week was fantastic!! We were so blessed to have PERFECT weather here in Indy! It was in the 70’s most of the week and not too humid! Heavenly Father decided that he would bless Sister Hamblin and I with the opportunity to take advantage of this gorgeous weather!! Most of our appointments- okay-- not most, ALL of our appointments with investigators this week fell through. It was sad, but as we went about our day we prayed for guidance as we followed through with our back up plans- -which mostly consisted of tracting. We had the opportunity to meet several people and hopefully we will be able to go back and see lots of them this week!! I think I have now officially broken in my mission shoes ;) Well the grandma tracting ones- I do have to say they are incredibly comfortable!  So word to the wise for future missionaries- get the comfy grandma shoes-- and strange thing is, sometimes I even get compliments on them..........

I don't know how many of you have heard of missionary laminating- but yes it is real- missionaries actually do take packing tape and tape up everything-- My first piece of true missionary laminating happened this week. I had to tape my conference Ensign back together, which of course involved "laminating" it. It was so pitiful looking before. I guess I just loved it a little bit too much!! It is amazing how every talk is so applicable! I love hearing from the prophets-- I cannot wait for October, but for now I am incredibly grateful that I have my own well loved and highlighted copy to continue to study!!

This week was full of tender mercies! Sister Hamblin and I are learning how we can best work together. It is amazing to see how the Lord places the people in our path who need to hear the word from us- as a companionship (if that makes sense). I think I mentioned this before, but a lot of our appointments fell through this week. It was amazing to see how willing members were to come out and teach with us. It was just really sad when we had to cancel the lesson so last minute :( But that's okay, because it will be different this week! And all in the Lord's timing!! One of the largest tender mercies this week was the Buckles family, because, drum roll please, JACK IS AN INVESTIGATOR AGAIN!!! The Buckles family made sure to invite him on the youth boating trip this weekend and then to invite and then provide a ride for him to church on Sunday. We were able to talk to him after church and he said that he would like to meet with us again!! He apologized for not wanting to meet before. He said that he is not sure if he wants to be baptized, but he knows that he wants to keep learning more. Without the Buckle family, there is no way that he would want to meet with us. It took their love and their fellowship to help Jack have the desire to continue to learn more. One thing that I wish I had done before my mission is go out with the missionaries. Even just to knock on doors! The friendship that comes from serving and inviting others to come closer to Christ is priceless. Sister Donaldson, my Sister Trainer Leader this transfer said that our effort to get members to lessons is a direct indication of our love for our investigators. It is amazing to see the change in members here Indy--to see them open up their homes for lessons and to willingly offer their friendship and their spirits. It helps the investigators see what they are working towards, in a sense.

Sister Donaldson --my Sister Trainer leader for now

All right sorry for the rant!!! I know you probably don't want to hear sad news, but Mandy (I think I have written about her before), her kidneys are failing worse than they were before. She actually ended up back in the hospital :( We were able to get the chance to talk to her- just over the phone- about priesthood blessings. This woman has such amazing faith- right after we told her about priesthood blessings she said, "I need that- can you get me that?" We are going in a couple of days with the Elders and our Ward mission leader to her home to give her a blessing- hopefully everything will turn out- but it is all in the Lord's timing. 

I hope everyone has an amazing week! Thank you all for your prayers. I know I have said this many times before, but I feel them, it gives me so much strength to know and feel your love.

Love,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment